Winter Solstice is the equivalent of the solar New Year. It is a fertile time to set new intentions. The longest night of the year has been celebrated by many traditions as a sacred and rich time. In the past, it’s been a night to gather around the fire, practice spiritual ceremonies to call back the Sun.
During the winter solstice the sun hugs closer to the horizon than at any other time during the year, giving way to the least amount of daylight annually. On the bright side, the day after the winter solstice marks the beginning of lengthening days leading up to the summer solstice. The winter solstice is a poignant time to stop and listen, to harmonise our energy and reassess our connection to our spirit and life’s purpose. It is a powerful time of re-birth and transformation – to acknowledge our shadow, heal our wounds, release old thought patterns and align with our light to illuminate our highest destiny.
In the tradition of Kundalini Yoga solstices, equinoxes, full and new moons are respected and celebrated as energetic portals that can be accessed for spiritual transformation. In 2016 the Winter Solstice which is naturally a time of endings and new beginnings. You can use this energy to manifest your goals in 5 easy ways;
- FOCUS: Take more notice of your thoughts and become present. Become aware of your thoughts, especially the ones you repeat to yourself daily that make you feel bad. Regularly doing certain types of yoga and meditation help you to become more aware. Kundalini Yoga & Meditation or any type of meditation that you like at Winter Solstice is a great way to focus your powerful meditative mind and in that space of your ‘yoga’ you can clarify and plant the seeds of your new intentions so they can grow in the new Solar Year. Meditating in a group situation helps you go deeper into your mediative mind as you will have access to the highest vibration of the other members of the group.
- AFFIRMATIONS: Affirmations are a powerful tool for manifesting your goals – however they only work if the statement holds a sense of truth and triggers a positive emotional response. Play with different statements until you find one that you cannot only believe but also uplifts you when you practice thinking or speaking it. Practicing them often enough to genuinely believe the affirmation and tune into the ‘feeling’ of it being true.
- RITUALS: Practicing rituals, which can be as simple as using a breath technique you use at the same time everyday, setting an intention for your day or even creating a peaceful space in your home and lighting a candle as symbol of your new solar year intentions.
- SURRENDER: Understanding the root of your desire/s, where they come from and why, and surrendering to your desire/s, accepting that you are worthy to hold the desire and also accepting exactly where you are right now with complete trust and faith that ‘All is Well and everything you desire is coming to you perfectly’. Also recognising when you need to rest. Surrendering to your body’s need to be nourished is very important.
- NATURE: Connecting with nature is an important one, which not only keeps us grounded but our small worries in perspective. Walking on the earth or sand with bare feet, swimming in the ocean (for the courageous during the winter months) or simply sitting in wonder and appreciating the perfection of the Universe will naturally raise your vibration into harmony with the vibration of your true desires and the longer you can stay in this harmony the quicker your desires will manifest.
Winter Solstice is an opportunity to come together with your community in celebration of hope, peace and the rebirth of light. At 7pm on Tuesday 21st June, join us at Soul Flow Yoga to celebrate Winter Solstice with a Kundalini Yoga & Meditation Workshop. The energetic power of the solstice will help us to access our emotions and recognise underlying patterns that are not aligned with the love and truth of our soul. We will use the power of ritual to access this new awareness so we can drop our limiting behaviours and set new empowering intentions that will manifest and flourish with the power of the Sun, as it is reborn in the new solar year.
Written by Enza and Vanessa Deluca